Cheers to another successful year on the road!
Beginning February 5, 2018 at San Leandro High School in California, the Digital Bookmobile began its cross country tour, welcoming a total of 15,511 visitors during its 10 month journey, ending back in California on November 16. Traveling to both public library and school partners, the Digital Bookmobile educated and entertained patrons and students alike. We’re thankful for the help we received from over 1,000 library and school staff members during our 121 events. We had so much fun getting to know everyone.
Highlights from 2018
- Recommended Libby, the one-tap reading app from your local library, as the primary reading app for the fastest way to reading happiness
- Introduced Sora, the student reading app, to schools
- Attended 2 Comic Cons
- Dover Comic Con, hosted by Dover Public Library, DE
- SamiCon, hosted by Samuels Public Library, VA
- Attended 2 Festivals
- Dallas Book Festival, hosted by Dallas Public Library, TX
- Kitchener-Waterloo Multicultural Festival, hosted by Kitchener Public Library, Ontario, Canada
- Attended the Texas Library Association’s 2018 Annual Conference
- Mentioned 118 times in media outlets, a total reach of 143 million people
Thank you to everyone who showed up to an event and took the time to learn something new. We especially appreciate any visitor who was hesitant to try digital and still stepped inside the Digital Bookmobile. We believe digital titles from your public or school library have something to offer everyone, and you won’t know until you try.
What Others Had to Say
“Wonderful event! OverDrive staff were so patient and helpful with our patrons. I recommend every library hold a Digital Bookmobile event!” – Jane Kauzlaric, RH Johnson Library, Sun City West Branch
“It was outstanding! I love it when events generate such excitement about READING – and this one did! Lauren, Jess and Ira were great and it was exciting to see the kids so happy and interested. Even the rain didn’t stop the enthusiasm!” – Lorraine Anderson, Hulstrom K-8
Preparing for 2019
Staff in the OverDrive office are already reaching out to schools and libraries to participate in the 2019 tour, set to begin in February. Working to increase the amount of lead time we provide partners this year, we aim to reach out to partners 3 – 5 months in advance of an event. OverDrive partners who would like to request a visit from the Digital Bookmobile can do so starting June 2019 on our website and will be considered for the 2020 tour.
We can’t forget to mention some updates! New swag items will include buttons, sunglasses, and a few surprises. We are also merging our Facebook and Twitter pages with our parent accounts for better reach. For updates on the Digital Bookmobile tour, be sure to follow the accounts linked below. We’re excited to share our journey with you!